Sunday, January 22, 2012

mochi pounding and roller slides

yesterday, a sweet lady from church picked me up and we went to a mochi pounding party.  


mochi is made from rice with a little water pounded into a mass of sticky goodness.  we all got a chance to take a whack at it.







after the rice is good and mochi'd, you form it into little balls with delicious fillings.  my personal favorite was the sweet bean paste (for you kerianne).  a very sweet japanese woman taught me how to make mochi balls look pretty.




you may not think these look that nice but you should have seen my first batch!  they put mochi in a variety of foods, like in soup.  i was on mochi overload by the end of the party!




cutest little japanese boy at the party.  i wanted to steal him but instead, i just took his picture.


after the mochi pounding party, the lady i was with took me to a japanese park to experience my first roller slide.  on okinawa, they don't have very many "regular" slides.  most parks have roller slides or drop slides.


here is a okinawan park.  they have massive parks all over the island.  the local kids at the park were so quiet.  japanese kids are so well behaved.  it's adorable. 






and here is a roller slide:




roller slides are made of a bunch of metal rollers next to each other.  the key is bring something to sit on.  without it, you don't go as fast and your butt burns by the end.  i borrowed a plastic tray to sit on and i flew!  i took a video going down but i'm having trouble uploading videos.  this is me on my first trip down.  i sat on my feet to avoid the bum burn.








i didn't wear the appropriate footwear and so this happened when i used my feet to break:




i'm sad about my boots but impressed with the okinawans.  they are ingenius!  







1 comment: