Sunday, June 3, 2012

thoughts on okinawa


things i love about okinawa:
-they have the best drinks here.  and they are so available!
-the japanese seriously come up with the most ingenious ideas and inventions. 
-waking up to a gorgeous view of the ocean and being able to eat lunch at a beautiful beach.
-i can leave my doors unlocked and not worry about anything being stolen, broken into, etc.  it's so safe here.
-the small portions.  i love that they serve meals with a bunch of different dishes but all in very small portions.  makes portion control easy and allows me to try a bunch of different things.
-i have a great ward.  they are very welcoming and thoughtful people.
-i am so close to lots of great places.  2.5 hour plane ride to a bunch of other countries.
-the japanese use the word "hai" (pronounced like "hi") a million times a day.  it means yes and it's their favorite word.  it is now my favorite word.

 things i don't love about okinawa:
-tailgating.  it's like a japanese past time.  i've gotten used to it in town but the rage comes out when people tailgate me on base.  everyone knows you don't speed on a military base so back off!
-i swear it happens every week.  it will be sunny and beautiful outside during the work week but as soon as the weekend hits, cloudy, rain, etc.  it kills me.
-i miss being able to buy certain things in stores.  mostly things that make my life more convenient.  i can order most things on amazon but they don't mail organic produce.
-i love my apartment, it's really nice and spacious but i have to take an elevator since i live on the 8th floor.  that makes it difficult to get my bike downstairs to ride.  not the end of the world but kind of annoying.
-it's a small island so unfortunately i run into people i know a lot.  it's only a pain when i see my client in public and it makes things awkward.
-the main thing i don't love about okinawa is that my friends and family aren't here.

 things i gotten used to living in okinawa:
-rain doesn't even phase me anymore.  i rarely use my umbrella or rain jacket until it's sideways rain.  and using rain gear in sideways rain is futile.  no one bats an eye when i walk into work sopping wet.
-using hand gestures and my very, very broken japanese to communicate. 
-nodding in thanks
-driving on the left side of the road.  when i watch movies set in the states, it throws me off that they are driving on the right side of the road.
-showing my military id for anything and everything.
-driving the speed limit.
-not talking on the phone while driving. 
-using old fashion means to find my way places.  no calling people up if i'm lost, no reading street signs.  basically, the old fashion means i am referring to is driving in circles until i find what i'm looking for.  luckily, i live on a island so i can only get so lost.
-calculating the yen to dollar conversion and vice versa
-calculating the time difference in the states
-hearing a mix of japanese and english pretty much all of the time

1 comment: