Sunday, March 17, 2013

lost in translation

sunday night, i was cooking for the week.  i cooked several different dishes so there was some multi-tasking going on.  first problem.  i went to bed and was woken up in the middle of the night to a really annoying beeping sound.  at first i thought it was outside because i had my balcony door open.  good thing.  i figured out it was coming from an unknown box in my laundry.  i unplugged it and went to bed.  the next morning, while at work, i got a call from my housing agency.  they called to tell me that my gas had been shut off and that i needed to go home and see if i had left my oven or stove on before they could have the gas company turn it back on.  here, if i have my oven on too long or forget to turn off the hot water heater, they shut off the gas.  this is the first time this has happened to me though.  i ran home at lunch to check the gas situation and as i was waiting for the elevator, checked my mail slot.  i pulled out a letter from the gas company:


i read it and then re-read it and then gave up and called my housing agency.  i had discovered that i had left a burner on.  not just a little either.  yikes.  i shut off the burner and the gas company came and turned my gas back on.  turns out the thing that i unplugged was the carbon monoxide detector.  oops.  good thing i had my balcony door open all night or i would have ended up like my plants.


1 comment:

  1. OMG that's actually kinda scary about the carbon monoxide! I'm super glad you had your door open!!

    ReplyDelete